Monday, December 19, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Quirk Books, 352 pages
Purchased

"A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive."

I first became interested in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children when I saw the book trailer. That trailer was simply amazing! It looked like a genuine movie, and it had such an eerie feel to it. Needless to say, I just had to read the book after watching that trailer.

I have never read a book that used pictures within its storytelling. It was something entirely new to me, and the effect of the pictures was amazing. They greatly contributed to the story, and I am not sure if I would have liked the story as much if the pictures weren't in there. Some parts of the book would literally creep me out if I read at night, so I just read super fast through them until I came to a happier passage.

The plot line was also very original and refreshing. Using the pictures as a guideline, Riggs was able to create something entirely new that I have never encountered before. Everything was perfect. Set in World War II and modern times? Check. Creepy monsters? Check. A possibly disastrous experiment? Check. Peculiar children? Check.

The main character, Jacob, was enjoyable to follow. At times he reminded me a bit of a John Green main character; he was hilarious at times, but he knew when to be serious. His struggle to convince himself that he wasn't crazy was also something new that I haven't read a ton about. The psychological aspect of the story was fascinating. Were things real, or was Jacob making them all up in head? Were Abe's stories true, or were they all made up?

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a fantasy thriller that transcends time. You definitely do not want to miss out on reading this gem of a book.

Rating: 5 stars - I loved it! Buy a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment