Friday, January 13, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Dutton Juvenile, 313 pages
Purchased

"Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten. Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love."

My obsession with John Green is a little out of control, but I'm a Nerdfighter, and only other Nerdfighters will understand that. I pre-ordered this book a long time ago, and when it finally arrived in the mail yesterday, I couldn't put it down. I fell absolutely in love with, yet, another John Green novel.

We're introduced to Hazel Grace Lancaster, a sixteen-year-old who has Thyroid cancer. Pulled out of school after getting her GED, she attends a community college. Her friends are absent. Her oxygen tank travels everywhere she goes. And her life isn't anywhere near normal. Her mother insists that she goes to a support group because support groups help you talk to other people going through the same thing and all that stuff. Hazel reluctantly goes, even though she's always quiet and depressed. But then one day, there is a new guy, a guy whose name is Augustus Waters, suffering from Osteosarcoma with an amputated leg. Everything changes when she meets Augustus. Everything.

When Hazel meets Augustus, he is refreshing and jaunty and, nonetheless, hot. I absolutely loved Augustus because suddenly Hazel has something to look forward to, someone that makes her feel better. Though Augustus is also dealing with his own health dilemmas, he doesn't dread on them the way Hazel does. He makes snarky, funny comments, and he doesn't live as if he's stuck behind his cancer. Both Hazel and Augustus and also Issac, Augustus's soon to be blind friend, are all so raw and real. Augustus and Hazel's relationship grows throughout the book, and it reminds me why I enjoy novels where the two characters don't fall in love within the first ten pages. Their relationship had so many flaws that I absolutely loved because they had fights and didn't agree on everything, and it just seemed like the type of relationship many will relate to. At one point or another, you'll get attached to the characters and their heart-wrenching story, which broke me down emotionally.

This brings me to John Green's writing. This book is probably one of his best written novels yet. I love how he can mix intellectual ideas with humor. I found myself laughing out loud (like normal with his books) and I found myself thinking. The deeper messages John Green addresses truly had me thinking about my own life and why I think and believe in the things I do. His characters are usually very intelligent and I love that he portrays his characters in this light, unlike many Young Adult authors. I was also amazed by how well John Green took on the role of girl teenager's voice. Written in first person, he surprisingly did so effortlessly. It was believable and relatable.

John Green's plots are beautifully simple. This is really the only way to put it. The story line draws you in even though we all know what Hazel's fate will be. She is dying. And when there's no cure, it's only the inevitable.

I was completely sold with The Fault in Our Stars, and it was so stunning and tragic and beautiful. If you haven't read any John Green books, I highly suggest this one!! :)

DFTBA.

P.S.- Brace yourself for the emotions this book will give you. It's overwhelming, but nonetheless amazing.

Rating: 5 stars - I loved it! Buy a copy!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I read this book and could not put it down, at some points I was laughing out loud, and others I was crying! Very emotional book, quickly became one of my fav's. :)

    ReplyDelete