Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Simon & Schuster, 528 pages
Borrowed


"In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends. With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them. Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?"

I read the first book of the Infernal Devices back in the summer of 2011 and I absolutely loved it! My friend and fellow blog correspondent, Emily, and I constantly read historical fiction and adore the genre. So, the fact that Cassandra Clare had published a book based in the Shadowhunter's world in London, England during the 19th century was so exciting! We were more than thrilled to get our hands on the second book of this series because we loved Clockwork Angel so much. I will tell you straight up: this book was even better than the first, which was a lot to measure up to, considering I adore Clockwork Angel!

Let me first address the issue at hand that every girl should have when reading this series: Who do you love more, Will or Jem????!!!!! After reading Clockwork Angel, I couldn't choose which male character I loved more. I mean, there's Edward or Jacob, Gale or Peeta, and Jace or Simon (even though there's not much of a competition in the last example!) And, again, after reading Clockwork Prince, I still can't make up my mind if I am on Team Will or Team Jem!!! It is actually harder to choose now that I have read this book!!!! FWI women, you will be even more confused than before. Both Will and Jem are at their best in this book. Will makes plot-altering discoveries about himself and Jem continues to struggle and embrace his disease. I LOVE THESE MEN! (Can't you tell???!!)

The storyline in this book is another reason why I continue to love Cassandra Clare's books (even though I wish the Mortal Instruments would have ended by now). She has such an effortless and beautiful way in which she weaves the plots and characters' circumstances together. What's usually most important to me in a book is the way the characters who are romantically entangled act together. When I read a book, I often see the events playing out like a movie in my head and Ms. Clare's crafting of images helps me to do this even more. Tessa, Will, and Jem all have relationships that are crafted to dramatic perfection. I found at times saddened and even tearful for these characters in love. That is what makes a great book for me: the author's ability to affect the reader's emotions.

The action in this book is breathtaking and up to par with any other Cassandra Clare book. The sub characters also develop more throughout the book, particularly Henry and Charlotte. The twists and turns of the book will shock audiences and keep a reader on his or her toes! I can hardly wait for Clockwork Princess to make its entrance into the literary world!

Rating: 5 stars - I loved it! Buy a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment