Monday, September 3, 2012

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini
HarperTeen, 400 pages
Purchased

"Can true love be forgotten? As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on. Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder. As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos. Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling Starcrossed delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations."

Dreamless is everything you could hope for in a sequel for Starcrossed. Starcrossed is actually one of my favorite books, and that is because the concept of the book is completely enthralling, in my opinion. Toying with the idea of having the Trojan War play out in modern times? With a ton of Greek Mythology thrown in to boot? Absolutely!

While Dreamless is not the most solid book when it comes to substance and whatnot, I think it is one of the most entertaining books I have ever read, kind of how I feel about the Tiger's Curse Series. The romance is sweet and intense, the action constantly going, and the mythology rounds everything out to make it an awesome read.

While I absolutely loved Lucas as Helen's love interest in the first book, I am a bit more conflicted having read this book. Sure, it is obvious that Helen and Lucas should be together, but how much of that is simply fate pulling them together to be the next Helen and Paris? So, when a new character named Orion is introduced, I am kind of intrigued by him. He grows on me, and I actually found myself cheering for him instead! But enough with the romance. :)

The action in this book took a little bit to get going, but I wasn't complaining because I wanted to see a bit more of the interaction between characters before the gang had to get involved in some sort of brawl with Greek gods. (Yes, I'm completely serious.) Once the action kicked in, the book was extremely difficult to put down. You want to just fly right through to the ending, which I must tell you is really no consolation either. That ending is one heck of a cliffhanger. Everything is psychotic. And then you simply can't wait to get your grubby little hands on the final installment of the series.

Rating: 5 stars - I loved it! Buy a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment