Sunday, February 3, 2013

Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter

Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter
Disney Hyperion, 294 pages
Purchased

"With more than a million Gallagher Girls books sold, a legion of fans have fallen in love with the New York Times best-selling spy-girl series, and the fifth book delivers the most nerve-wracking, high-stakes adventure yet. The last thing Cammie Morgan remembers is leaving the Gallagher Academy to protect her friends and family. But when Cammie wakes up in an alpine convent and discovers months have passed, her memory is a black hole. The only traces left of Cammie’s summer vacation are the bruises on her body and dirt under her nails. All she wants is to go home. But even the Gallagher Academy now holds more questions than answers as Cammie and her friends face their most difficult challenge yet. With only their training and a few clues to guide them, the girls go in search of answers on the other side of the world. But the Circle is hot on their trail and will stop at nothing to prevent Cammie from remembering what she did last summer."

I'm going to be honest and say that for a while that I didn't even realize that this book had been released. It has been under the radar for a while now, and as a result, my interest has kind of waned. Granted, the book was still an enjoyable read, but I am kind of wondering when the story will end....

If we take a trip down memory lane, we will remember the first book in the series, I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You, as an incredibly fun and light read. I loved THAT Cammie and her friends, and while the story has gotten darker and more intricate, I miss what made me love the Gallagher Girls series in the first place: the easy friendship between Cammie and her friends, secret passageways in the school, and using spy techniques to sneak out of the school to meet a cute boy. While I know it was pretty much inevitable that this lightheartedness would disappear with Cammie becoming older, I still can't help wishing some of it was back.

Let me tell you, remind yourself what happened in the previous book before starting this one! Honestly, you will be entirely lost if you don't. Things are incredibly confusing in the beginning of the book, but fortunately things start to explain themselves later on. More and more was revealed in this book about the Circle, and hopefully this means we can look forward to a finale soon. The characters are losing their zing, though. Cammie seems so distant and her friends don't seem to be as close with her anymore. I just don't feel the connection anymore.

First and foremost, I want to make things clear. I really enjoyed this series... when I was in sixth grade. Yes, that's right. Sixth grade. This series started in 2006, and as such, it's 2013 and it still isn't finished and we only have 5 books to show for. I don't want it to seem like I don't like the series, but I think maybe it's about time to hope for the next book to be the last. The hard truth is that I'm getting older and losing interest in this series, and that can only mean that there are several others out there just like myself. While I still liked this book, the past few books have not been as great as the first ones. If I went back and read the first books right now, I would like them just as much. Clearly something is lacking in the storyline, and hopefully we will get a satisfying ending soon.

Rating: 3 stars - I liked it. Worth borrowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment