Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Question of the Week: Favorite genre?

For any reader there is always one genre they gravitate to more than others. Be it high fantasy, contemporary fiction, or paranormal romance, each genre preference can tell a lot about a person.

What is your favorite genre and why?


Hannah: My favorite genre is dystopian. Some dystopian novels you may be familiar with are: Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Maze Runner by James Dashner, and Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. All books I thoroughly enjoyed! Dystopian novels are set in a post-apocalyptic futuristic world that is controlled by a morally corrupt government to give an illusion of a perfect society, though the society is anything but perfect. The idea of a world that could potentially exist in our society's own future is what makes this genre both scary and intriguing at the same time. Though I love fantasy and contemporary fiction like no other as well, dystopian novels are the ones I have always and will continue to grab for.

Emily: My favorite genre has to be fantasy, and more often than not, romance and historical fiction will be tied into those books. There is something about the mix of fantasy with romance and history, whether it be Elizabethan, medieval, or a completely new world like Middle Earth and Alagaesia, that I cannot seem to resist. I have always read these books, and I will always gravitate towards them. The Inheritance Cycle, The Lord of the Rings, the Harry Potter Series, and Graceling and Fire by Kristin Cashore are some examples, to name a few. I will almost always read any book as long as it has an appealing plot, so most of the time the genre of a book isn't terribly important to me as long as the book sounds good.

No comments:

Post a Comment