Monday, November 14, 2011

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore
Harper Collins, 416 pages
Borrowed

"I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me.... he's one of us. Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us - if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding eye contact with one another... but our legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equiped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I have been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Number Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together? They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio - and failed. I am Number Seven. One of the six still alive. And I'm ready to fight."

This book took me forever to get through (Not because it was boring, by any means. I've just been busy.) This was a fantastic sequel to I Am Number Four. The thing that I loved the most was that they start off the book discussing Number Seven, which is a very different character to read about compared to John Smith in the previous book. But then the author returns to John Smith, his friend Sam, and Number Six. They continue right where the last book left off and I love books that do this because they jump start a reader's brain to help them to remember where the last book ended. For people who read many different things like me, that is an extremely helpful tool.

The romance in this book is definetly stronger and more complex (Of course I have to comment on this because the romantic situations are usually my favorite aspest of literature.) The chemistry between Six and John is very bizarre in the way that it is sort of a forbidden love circumstance. John and Sarah's relationship is tested and you will be so suprised about the obstacles and choices that they have to overcome in this book.

Secondly, I loved the introduction of the other Garde characters. Number Seven, or Marina, evolves so much in this book that by the end, I felt like she was a different character entirely. I always got excited when I saw that the next chapter was in the pretty, cursive print (I love how this book had different prints based on which character's situation is being told!). Her friends Ella and Hector are so endearing and helped me feel a more emotional connection with these characters that I didn't quite feel with John and his friends. I also loved the setting Marina's home was set in (a convent in the mountains of Spain was much more intersting than a town in Ohio).

The only downfall to this book was the fact that the villian's way of dying is repeated over and over again. I mean, how many times can you describe a character's decomposition after they are shot or stabbed? Come on Mr. Lore. Also, the story became a little slow in parts where John, Sam, and Six are traveling. It became tedious after a while. But all in all, this book was a very acceptable sequel. To those of you who love dystopian and want to submerge yourself in a book that you will not be able to put down, this is the book for you. There is just something about I Am Number Four and The Power of Six that makes you feel that you need to read the book in big chunks or all in one sitting. This is definetly not a book to read one chapter at a time. Trust me. That's why it took me so long to finish.

Rating: 3 - I liked it. Worth borrowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment