Saturday, September 17, 2011

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
Dutton books, 310 pages
Purchased

"One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical. Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans."

I will confess that I have an obsession with John Green novels. I'm attached to Looking For Alaska and his overall message in Paper Towns felt truthful and to the point. While I had also read An Abundance of Katherines, I still had yet to read Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Now, this isn't only written by John Green, it's also written by David Levithan who familiarly wrote Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and Dash and Lily's Book of Dares. Although I had never read anything by David Levithan, due to John Green, I absolutely had to have my hands on this novel. And man, did I inhale this book. I've been busy like crazy, yet I still managed to finish it in two days.

The characters are what really won me over in this novel. Of course, we have the two Will Graysons. John Green's Will Grayson likes to not care and shut up, while David Levithan's Will Grayson is angry and depressed. I enjoyed both of them. There is character development occurring for each Will and that growth was fantastic. I always love it when a book can successfully develop their characters, that way they don't end the book the same as it started. As for the side characters, I loved them as well. Tiny Cooper is (John Green's) Will Grayson's best friend. He is huge (hence the irony with his name), he is fabulous, he is gay, and he is putting on a musical based on his own life. There's also Jane, who's a little hard to read at the beginning, but later, I learn to like her. (David Levithan's) Will Grayson has only one friend named Maura, who he doesn't even really consider a friend anyways. So he is basically friendless and depressed and also gay. I strangely enjoyed him, even though he does get mad and depressed and you'd think you'd hate that sort of character.

The plot is packed with drama and relationships and I just couldn't get enough of it! I really enjoy that this contemporary fiction novel is so different than anything I've ever read. From reading about each Will Grayson and how they meet and their lives connect somehow. It's just an amazing story line to put it simply.

John Green never fails to make me laugh. Imagine yourself in the quietness of the library and stifling a chuckle or two. This always happens when I read one of his books. David Levithan's writing style was very great as well. It was clearly different from John Green's, but I liked it a lot.

Although, this book was awesome, I will admit that the ending was a little anti-climatic. I was just waiting for that epic ending, but it just didn't live up to those expectations I was hoping from this collaboration novel. Also, there are a few warnings I'd like to put out there for a potential reader of Will Grayson, Will Grayson. First of all, there is explicit language. This is not just a single f-bomb in one chapter, but they are continuous throughout the novel. Now, this doesn't bother me one bit, especially because it's contemporary, but for some young readers or someone who is uncomfortable reading that, then I say find another book. Also, another thing to note is that this book has homosexual characters and themes in it. Again, this doesn't bother me one bit, but I know that some people might be turned off by that or feel uncomfortable reading it.

Let me just say again, that I am yet again amazed by another John Green novel and happily introduced to David Levithan's writing, which I hope to read more of! A unique contemporary read.

4 - I really liked it. Worth buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment